Re: So you wanna talk copyright . . .

As a Board Director of an historic house, if a photograph is
taken of the house, the photographer has copyright to the photo,
however permission to use the photograph falls to the Board
because we have copyright in the likeness of the house!

I have a similar problem.   I did a class project many many
years ago (1973 or 1974) on the Anna, Illinois pottery in the
1850-1870 period.   The State Museum had an exhibit of
this pottery that they had gathered from a number of loaners.
I went to the museum, pulled out my camera, and took color
slides of all of the items.  Museum guards and staff watched
me but said nothing.   I later learned that when the instructor
of our class attempted the same thing, the museum authorities
said that photographs of their objects were prohibited.   I think
the fact that I dressed up for the occasion (suit, tie, etc.) made
me stand out from the casual museum visitor and they were
"afraid" to say anything to the "VIP"    That says a lot about
museum and archives security, too.

Dean

Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338