Re: Help!!! Patrons and scanners

Our policy provides scans for readers at 72 dpi (web quality) for items
we determine are in a good enough condition to be scanned. Anything at
a higher resolution (i.e. publishing quality) would be TBA. I don't think
I'd permit a reader to bring a scanner into our department (though we do
permit photographic copy stands - hmm, is there a real difference?).

We limit copies to 50 pages per box, per reader for archival materials, or
15 openings per book.

But it sounds like this person is planning on repackaging your items to
sell for a profit. This gets into the whole other area of _use_ fees, not
reproduction fees: do you charge any, do you limit the total number of
items used if not, and is there a difference between profit and
not-for-profit concerns in assessing amounts?

Best,

Jeffrey Makala

Jeffrey Makala
Processing Archivist/Reference Librarian
Special Collections & Archives
Olin Library, Wesleyan University                       860.685.3863
252 Church St.                                          860.685.2661 fax
Middletown CT 06459                                     jmakala@wesleyan.edu