Re: the invisible cataloging system

 We place a label and barcode on a strip of acid free paper in the
book. There is plenty of room for compromise here. Stress the donor the
need to be able to identify stolen material with a very small mark
somewhere in the book. You must do this carefully, as you do not want to
give them the idea that your material is easily stolen! Point out that no
place is perfectly secure, but that the chance of theft is small. No labels
or stamps on the book is common practice. We write the call # in pencil
very lightly the last page.

 Steve in Denver

 ( who on Nov. 7 wrote to the list "relax - it will all be over tomorrow."
Brother was I wrong. )