From: Archives & Archivists [mailto:ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU]On
Behalf Of gerard shorb
Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2000 6:38 AM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Database to Assist in User Studies

Dear Group:

This is a modified posting that I sent before without much response.

We are looking to purchase or design a database that would help us to
conduct user studies on the types of researchers that use our archives
and we are trying to find out if anyone already has anything in place
that we could imitate - or if anyone has any ideas about the design of
said database.

We envision that such a database would have the following
characteristics:

a.) Fields to collect basic user information, e.g. Name, Address,
Organization, etc.
b.) Fields indicating mode of request, telephone, in-person, email,
letter, etc.
c.) Fields to collect information on Collections used, e.g. various
Archive record group series, individual manuscript collections, etc.
d.) fields to collect information on the ultimate use of an individual's
research in our repository.

We would also want the database to have a sorting, tabulating and
reporting capability and be compatible with statistical analysis
software and data presentation software.

Has anybody seen anything like this ? Is there one software package or
several compatible packages that could handle the design of all of this?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Sincerely,

Gerard Shorb
Research Associate