the invisible cataloging system

I was recently talking to a museum curator who is responsible for organizing
the library in a small museum that is set to open in 2002. The museum is
primarily funded by donations. A rare book dealer is going to donate some
2,000 books to the library (pretty much the whole library) but only on the
condition that none of the books in the library are to have any marks on
them -- no call numbers, that is, not even any written in soft pencil.

The curator, of course, would like to catalog his library. My first thought
was to have him shelve the books alphabetically by author, then create a
database of MARC records and keep a computerized shelf list noting the
placement of each book -- or even include the shelflist notation on the
bibliographic record in a discrete field.

The library isn't built yet, and he has no computers or software ordered, so
he's open to any suggestions. Has anyone had to deal with a situation like
this? Can you think of a better solution than mine?

Thanks.

Daria Labinsky
Emporia State University/New Mexico