Cataloging printouts of web-based serials

This is a response to Janet Olson's message sent 11/29/00. I think your serials cataloging person is not serving the Archives well on several counts.

First, the electronic version of the serial *is* the true archival original! Your printout is a handy replacement for the original because, presumably (?), you don't yet have the capability to archive electronic records (like most of us :) ). Regardless, the e-version exists and is accessible to people via the Web (presumably), and in fact far more accessible than your printout, so why not catalog it?

Second, the fact that the catalog dept. doesn't "generally" catalog the university's online publications strikes me as a reason to revisit policy, not to deny your request. Universities are increasingly publishing many serials only in e-form, and the Archives' user audience needs access to them, just as they did when the materials were issued in paper.

Third, the question about how to record holdings is an interesting one. I'd be inclined to have two holdings records: one for the full run of issues published electronically, and another for the paper copies stored in Archives, if the paper holdings are not comprehensive (if they *are* comprehensive, I would omit the second holdings record). Either way, a note that the Archives retains printouts would indeed be helpful to users (and to you). Your institution's policy for cataloging materials that exist in both original and reproduction formats (sometimes called the "multiple versions problem") can have a major effect on how this is handled. Autocat would certainly have tons of information on this topic.

Best wishes----
Jackie Dooley

--
  Jackie M. Dooley, Head of Special Collections and University Archives
UCI Libraries, P.O. Box 19557, Univ. of California, Irvine, CA 92623-9557