Re: soliciting input/advice (microfiliming project)

Janet wrote: "Imagine in 40 years finding that set of three CD-ROMs that had
been missing
for the past 35 years.  Do you really think anyone will be able to play it?
I have 5-1/4" disks in my office with WordStar files -- less than 10 years
old, and more than obsolete."

Well I don't have to wait 40 years. I just received a CD that contains the
entire CFR on it (part of a subscription service). The problem? Our CD
drives can not read it because they are older drives. We were able to use a
work around in order to access the information.

"The ideal is a combination of digitization and microfilm -- one for
preservation, and one for access.  There are companies now that do both and
I expect it will become the norm."

This is the correct. One must provide for preservation as well as access. I
am on local history BBS and many of the members are screaming for all the
archival materials to be digitized and placed online -- preservation be
damned.

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Manager, Records Management Group
Woodside Summit Group Inc