Re: Advice needed - soliciting funds from archival donors

We do not have a policy on this, but we find ourselves with a situation that might have interesting results. This past summer, we received a major donation of menus (having so far inventoried 14 of 18 boxes, we are up to almost 7000 menus).

At almost the same time as we got this donation, we received word that we had obtained most of the funding I had requested for a NY State Conservation Preservation grant to purchase files and boxes to organize the 8000 or so menus we already had in our collection. The result of this is, whenever we get around to putting out our next library newsletter, it will include an article saying how wonderful it is that we got the major donation of menus, and also an article saying that we got the grant to process the ones we already have--but now have twice as many to process. I'm hoping that if we word this right, the corporation that donated the menus may decide to donate some money towards files and boxes for them, as well.

Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer
Special Collections Librarian/Archivist
Culinary Institute of America

>>> Thomas Berry <tberry@WCNET.ORG> 12/01/00 05:07PM >>>
Greetings!

One of our Board members has suggested that we ask potential donors of major
collections to help underwrite the costs of processing and storing those
collections.