LCSH subdivisions under College and University names

LCSH subdivisions under College and University names
(Message posted to AUTOCAT and to Archives and Archivists Lists)

I am interested in hearing from librarians and archivists, especially
college and university archivists or catalogers who catalog the holdings of
college or university archives, who find themselves in need of additional
LCSH subdivisions under the names of colleges and universities.

At the Society of American Archivists (SAA) meeting in Denver in late
August, I made an announcement to both the College and University Archives
Section and the Description Section about the need my own institution has
for additional subdivisions and solicited the names of people with a
similar interest.

I've done a little bit of research into the question and have found two
possible ways to proceed (please add to this list if you wish):

1) Create an LCSH funnel project (for FAQ, see:
http://lcweb.loc.gov/catdir/pcc/funnelfaq.html
2) Submit subject heading proposals to LC one by one (for FAQ, see:
http://lcweb.loc.gov/catdir/pcc/sacofaq.html

I think the most practical option would be a funnel project, but this
requires a sincere commitment and would be a multi-year project.  I am
willing to coordinate such a project.  Once the project gets started, a
group might meet annually at the Society of American Archivists.  If I
receive enough interest from librarians who are not members of SAA, I may
also need an ALA meeting and perhaps to formally associate the project with
some ALA members or groups.

Given that the next SAA meeting will be in DC, I hope to be able to start
the ball rolling now so that any meeting (even if informational) between LC
staff and archivists can take place either at or around the time of SAA.

If you are interested in this project, please contact me with the following
information:

Name:
E-mail address:
Job title:
Institution:
Address:
Phone number:
Fax number:

Also, if you know of other organizations or e-mail lists where this project
is likely to be of interest, please let me know.

Thank you,

Kate Bowers

Kate Bowers
Processing Archivist