Re: ethics of deaccessioning

In a message dated 12/6/00 7:01:17 PM Eastern Standard Time, TawnyRN@AOL.COM
writes:

If an
archives decids to deaccession materials that don't fit into its collection
policy, it usually shreds them, offers them to another institution, or
returns them to the donor.

Can you give me some deaccession examples from your own experience and the
ultimate disposition of this material?

Thank you,

Tawny Ryan Nelb

I would be very interested in responses to this subject.  Shredding seems to
be the only "ethical" way to dispose of unwanted artifacts.

It avoids the envy factor on the part of those who don't work at the
institution and thus don't have access to the dumpster.

However the destruction of historical documents always bothers me and there
must be a better way.

Mike Csontos