Re: ethics of deaccessioning

Even if the SAA code does not address deaccessioning, we still need to be concerned, especially in non-corporate archives, of the concept of public trust.  My experience is in private historical societies where we followed AAM guidelines for deaccessioning to avoid appearances of conflict of interest and to maintain that public trust.  Items were given to us with the understanding that they would be available for public research (something spelled out in the deed of gift).  If we sold items, then we were in effect breaking that contract.  We had a very rigorous deaccession procedure, including checks and double checks.  Anything the Board of Directors approved for deaccession was then either transferred to another institution where it would be used, or sold at public auction or through a bid system requiring a minimum of three bids.  The auction and bid system assured that anything we sold would be equitably available to any member of the public.  Staff, volunteers and board members could not obtain deaccessioned items except through public sale.

Ideally we have done our appraisals adequately so we don't need to deal with the morass of legal and public relations problems that arise with deaccessioning.  However, if we do have to deaccession, I think the AAM code of ethics is a good one to follow.

Barbara Austen
Project Archivist
Connecticut State Archives
231 Capitol Ave.