Re: ethics of deaccessioning

The museum field is very tight and even some states forbid what the archives and library world calls weeding per say.  Policy is important you might want to check the laws as well as policies in your state. I know New York is very tight on what and what cannot be done.  I had to write a manual for a museum in NY that did not have policy.  I wrote the policy into the forms.  For instance, so there was no confussion, all gifts were accepted with no strings.  We were allowed to put them into one of three "collections" 1. educational-usable and disposable [remember some museums do hands on stuff so this collection was for that], temporary -which gave us time to decide if it was an artifact, document, etc. we wanted and since it was not accessioned could be sold or traded as we wished. and lastly was the permenent collection which was accessioned and had all the really tight rules about disposal or deaccessioning.  If you want to see these forms let me know I kind of like sharing.  Hope this helps. Joan

Joan Goodbody
Lecturer
Humanities Social Sciences
Reference Services