Re: CD Life - was Film vs CD Revisited - LONG EMAIL

So, Jim, if my medium-level geek brain is understanding you correctly:

A) The manufacturers are admitting that their earlier products did not live up to what they originally promised, i.e. that the CD would provide us with a new "permanent" storage medium - otherwise, why would you have to introduce a new product that will revolutionize the industry ("and we really mean it this time - honest!")?

B) Basically, there's no evidence to support the viability of CD as a permanent medium for archival records, even assuming planned obsolescence (sp?) doesn't get you first.

A lesson, I think, for the powers that be, who tell us that we should just dump it all in digital format and toss the paper: where will it all be in 50 years - usable, or digital junk?

DS

Daniel Sokolow
Archives Coordinator
North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System
155 Community Drive
Great Neck, NY 11021
dsokolow@nshs.edu
  A posting from the Archives & Archivists LISTSERV List! To subscribe or unsubscribe, send e-mail to listserv@listserv.muohio.edu In body of message: SUB ARCHIVES firstname lastname *or*: UNSUB ARCHIVES To post a message, send e-mail to archives@listserv.muohio.edu Or to do *anything* (and enjoy doing it!), use the web interface at http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/archives.html Problems? Send e-mail to Robert F Schmidt