RE: PowerPoint vs CDRoms

" No doubt you've run into the same issues with large format B&W negatives
from the 1950s and 1960s.  The image may still be on the film, but it is
expensive and cumbersome to get a print from it. "

I encountered very few problems with large format negatives (4x5 or larger)
in a previous position. We had a well set-up lab and there were many
commercial labs in the city who could do the work if we couldn't.

Many photographers practice or try to learn alternative photographic
processes. There are photographers who still print bichromate prints and if
I am  not mistaken some have even tried to use albumen technology. There are
daguerotypists present at most major CW reenactments.

"It is the same issue with piano rolls.  Or stereoscopic prints.  Or
Viewmaster slides.  In each case the storage media is archaic.  The data is
still there, but there are difficulties reading it."

here are some links for player-piano rolls
http://www.player-care.com

http://www.cabinfeverpianos.com/pianorolls.htm

http://www.ragtimewest.com/we13000.htm

as to stereoviews. The image is easy to view, what may be difficult is
finding the holder, but check any antique store as there are always a few
lying around. The same goes for viewfinders they are still available.

The important point to remember about the three items above is that their
technology is STABLE. No major changes are forthcoming so the information is
still accessible. We recently received a subscription update on a CD,
unfortunately our CDs at work could not read it because it was written for
use on one of the CD-drive readers (32x or higher I believe).

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Manager, Records Management Group
Woodside Summit Group Inc
Midlothian, Virginia