Re: Handling press releases

At my last job one of the key components was the press release collection, and I think you'd do best to leave them in chrono order; things seemes to fall naturally that way at McGraw-Hill, and I was content to leave them as they were.

We actually digitized the press releases, and it was one of the most valuable tools I had there for quick reference.  Per the other discussion on CD's, we kept the originals, but it was a great tool for me when I got a call trying to identify an acquisition or a divestiture, personnel changes, earnings info, etc.

This also solved the arrangement issue - we had the electronic versions in a searchable database (the releases had been OCRd into PDF documents), which meant they were fully text searchable, and I could print out copies or email the file to patrons when they needed it.  I could safely leave it in chrono order knowing I could search for information electronically.

Email me off list if you want details.

DS

Daniel Sokolow
Archives Coordinator
North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System
155 Community Drive
Great Neck, NY 11021
dsokolow@nshs.edu
  A posting from the Archives & Archivists LISTSERV List! To subscribe or unsubscribe, send e-mail to listserv@listserv.muohio.edu In body of message: SUB ARCHIVES firstname lastname *or*: UNSUB ARCHIVES To post a message, send e-mail to archives@listserv.muohio.edu Or to do *anything* (and enjoy doing it!), use the web interface at http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/archives.html Problems? Send e-mail to Robert F Schmidt