Re: Handling press releases

Kathy:

Do you have a University vertical file with items filed by subject according to
offices, events, activities, etc on the campus?  That is how I keep up with such
items as a general rule.  If it's a release about an activity sponsored by the
President's office, it is filed under "Offices -- President" for instance. It it
pertains to an event sponsored by a campus organization, it goes under
"Organizations -- Name of that group."

This way you will not know -- as you would if the releases were all in the
correspondence file -- which events were announced on a certain time schedule.

You need to decide how you mostly likely will need that material in the future.
Will it be more helpful to know what was released in June 2000 or to know that the
Office of Admissions held a welcoming event for students of the upcoming term?

Hope this helps --

On the other hand, I have a correspondence file for exchanges between us and
various departments or offices on campus.  It could be kept there but as the file
grows it would be less helpful in determining what was said or done on any given
subject.

Kathy Gaynor wrote:

> May I please have some advice on handling press releases from our
> university?  The good news is that I have gotten on the mailing list to
> receive press releases issued from our University Communications office.
> The bad news is that I'm not sure what would be the best way to handle them.
>
> My inclination is to keep them since they show what was happening on campus
> during a certain period of time.  One idea is to keep them all together in
> chronological order.  Another idea is to sort them by topic (e.g. all the
> performing arts ones would be together, all the lecture series ones
> likewise, etc.).  Each topic area would then be kept in chronological order.
>
> These releases just started coming to me in August so I don't have that
> many right now.  I'd like to set up an arrangement that will be easy to
> handle and helpful to future users.  What would you recommend?
>
> Thank you very much.

Arlette Copeland
Mercer University Tarver Library
Special Collections Assistant
1300 Edgewood Avenue
Macon, Georgia 31207-0001
(478) 301-2968

The University Archives - a glimpse into Mercer's past from the present while
building toward the future.

copeland_a@mercer.edu
http://tarver.mercer.edu/special_collections/default.htm