Re: R-22 a hazard?

Joy and All,
Finally found a life form at our risk management office.  Life form confirms
my earlier post that 1) R-22 is form of Freon, 2) is relatively inert, 3)
should not cause a health problem in low amount over time as described, 4)
could cause problem if 2-4 pounds were dumped into system at one, 5) harm
caused by displacement of oxygen leading to anoxia.  The problem with trying
to fix is that once system is pumped down (you cannot bleed into atmosphere)
it is probably illegal to recharge with R-22 as this is one of the banned
substances.  The new pseudo-freons have different characteristics as a gas
and liquid and require different equipment than required for R-22.  For
instance, as a replacement for Halon in fire deterrence installations it
requires that modified (larger) discharge horns be installed.  I still think
you should ask them to monitor and that you see report.  I would also try to
get them to determine if this slow leak is a precursor to a catastrophic
failure that could dump a large volume of R-22 into the system.  My thoughts
and interpretations only.  Dick King, University of Arizona

Joy Kingsolver wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> Our maintenance dept. has informed me that our HVAC
> has been leaking R-22 since it was installed. They
> are calling it a slow leak--4 lbs. over 2 years--
> and they say it would be too difficult to fix and that
> it's not hazardous.
>
> Can anyone tell me if this is truly non-hazardous over
> the long term? Or is there a website I could check for details?
begin:vcard
n:King;Richard
tel;fax:520.889.5660
tel;work:520.889.5666