Re: R-22 a hazard?

        According to a report found at the following URL, freon is "not safe
for humans".  I'm not sure of the articles source in making that statement.
http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/waac/wn/wn06/wn06-2/wn06-202.html

Also see:
http://www.broward.org/tmi02917.htm

The above sources (and several others) were found doing a basic search in
google using (phosgene freon) as keywords.

        In a previous life [sic], I was an auto mechanic.  The A/C leak
detectors in use at one time (propane tanks with a 'sniffer' tube and
reactor plate) were banned because they produced phosgene (mustard gas),
caused by the degradation (burning/reaction with heat) of freon (in
automotive use, the freon used was R-12).

Tom Mueller

        "Do not read good books--
                Life is too short for that--only read the best.
                          And of these only read what gives you the greatest pleasure."

                                                                Abbe Dimnet, in
                                                                "The Art of Thinking."