Re: Question for NARA types and genealogists

After 1906, copies of all naturalization records have been kept at both at the court where the naturalization took place and on file at the Bureau of Immigration and Naturalization. You can obtain copies of these later papers by sending a request to

FOIA/PA
2nd Floor ULLB
425 I St. NW
Washington, DC 20536

It helps to know when the person was naturalized (if before 1920, the year should be given in their 1920 census entry) Give the name of the person and potential alternate spellings, which could be interesting for Slavic people whose names were transliterated.

Before 1906, people could be naturalized at virtually ANY court (e.g., county, federal, etc.) anywhere in the US, although most people would be naturalized at a court near where they lived. Start with the county court and then work to esoteric ones. The person might be naturalized in a county near the one where he lived if the courthouse was more convenient to him. ( I use masculine gender here advisedly as before 1922, a married alien women couldn't become a citizen unless her spouse was a citizen and when a man was naturalized, his wife and minor children were included in the deal--sorry I don't remember the exact cut-off date for the end of family naturalizations)

NARA has a web site with info on naturalization records at

http://www.nara.gov/genealogy/natural.html

US Im & Nat Service has a web site about naturalization records at:

http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/aboutins/history/NatzRec/NATREC.htm

Christine

Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer
Special Collections Librarian/Archivist

Culinary Institute of America
1946 Campus Drive
Hyde Park, NY  12538
(845) 451-1757
c_crawfo@culinary.edu

>>> "Kurilecz, Peter" <peter.kurilecz@WOODSIDESUMMITGROUP.COM> 12/22/00 09:31AM >>>
On one of my other e-mail lists the question has arisen as to where to find
naturalization papers. From a past life I am familiar with the Declaration
of Intent that was filed with local governments, BUT when did INS begin
handling the citizenship papers et al for immigrants. And how is this
material scheduled? Where is is located and how would one ask for it. The
answers are needed for some folks who are researching their Slovak
ancestors. Thanks greatly. and Merry Christmas!

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Manager, Records Management Group
Woodside Summit Group Inc
Midlothian, Virginia