Scanning blueprints

Hello to all

Here is an issue regarding large formats digitisation:

My organization is developping a project that compehends the recovery of an agency records discontinued in 1976 .
A significant part of the records are blueprints and architectural projects, ie, very large formats.
We are making description and digitising all these records. We are working with a Minolta PS7000 which copes formats upto A2 only. In order to capture larger formats with need to perform several scans of the same document in order to get all the information in it.
The average is 6 images per document.
After this step it was our first intention to process the images making the connections through photoshop.
During the benchmarking stage however, this revealed as a very time consuming job with modest outcomes only. (medium accuracy on putting the images together)
We are looking for a better solution and one possibility is to take big sized photoghaphs (9 x 12 cm) which allows excelent resolution and then digitise the resulting negatives. In most cases one photograph allows for the capture of a full document.
DOes anyone has some similar experience and are there other solutions you will be willing to share?
We can't purchase drum scanner as it's very expensive and hardly justifiable as after this project finishes we won´t be dealing anymore with this kind of documents.
To you think digital camera could be an option?

Regards to all and have a happy Xmas and HNY

Francisco