Re: Holiday songs

Not sure if this is the song Thelma Boeder was referring to, but this was my
favorite from the same story (I believe). If you have realplayer you can
hear the story on the NPR website. It is quite funny.

The Battle of Florida (to the tune: ?Battle of New Orleans? by Jimmy
Driftwood using traditional tune ?Eighth of January,? and as sung by Johnny
Horton) By Loose Bruce Kerr (650) 949-2327

1. In the year 2000 we took a little trip
The whole darn country down to Florida?s tip
The Governor, the VP, and a whole month spent
In a tied-up election for the US President

CHORUS:

WELL, WE VOTED OUR VOTES AND THEY BEGAN A-COUNTIN?
THERE?S ?BOUT A HUNDRED MORE THAN THERE WAS AN HOUR AGO
THEY COUNTED ONCE MORE AND FOUND ANOTHER THOUSAND
DOWN IN FLORIDA ON THE GULF OF MEXICO

2.  Well Katherine Harris was the Secretary of State
     And her policy helped Dubya ?til the courts said, ?Wait!?
     And Al Gore said, ?Since the margin?s so thin
     If the numbers continue, keep recountin? ?til I win!?

CHORUS II:
WELL, WE VOTED OUR VOTES AND THEY BEGAN A-COUNTIN?
THERE?S ?BOUT A HUNDRED MORE THAN THERE WAS AN HOUR AGO
THEN THEY COUNTED DIMPLED CHADS, THERE?S ANOTHER TWO THOUSAND
DOWN IN FLORIDA ON THE GULF OF MEXICO

3. And we ran through the chads and re-ran through the ballots
And we ran to our TVs just to watch the whole show
Ran to so many courts, newshounds couldn?t catch up
Down in Florida on the Gulf of Mexico

CHORUS III:
WELL, WE VOTED OUR VOTES AND THEY BEGAN A-COUNTIN?
A-COUNTIN? AND A-COUNTIN? AND A-COUNTIN? THEY WOULD GO
THEY COUNTED ONCE MORE IN THE YEAR 2000
DOWN IN FLORIDA ON THE GULF OF MEXICO

(with counterpoint:)
      Oh, say, can you see
      Does someone finally win?
      We so patiently wait
      Could the vote, please, be over?

© 2000 Broken Records & Marjorie Music Publ. (BMI)

Constance L. Jones
Project Director
Business & Media Archives of the Mahoning Valley
e-mail: business_media_archives@email.msn.com