book cleaning tips

With the passing of the holidays, January draws nearer. For us at Stan Hywet
Hall & Gardens, that means our annual cleaning! In preparation for this, I'd
like to ask for tips on how to handle cleaning books that are on display.
Many of these books are leather bound, very dry, and have flaking spines &
covers. Due to circumstances beyond our control, they have not been cleaned
in about 2 years, so the dust has been accumulating. I guess other things to
note would be that one person is cleaning the books and this is only one
part of cleaning the 60-some-odd rooms in the Manor House (the kind where
you get out the Q-tips to clean the woodwork details on the walls). I guess
tips I'm looking for now are along the lines of:

-what is the best dusting material to use? lambswool, cotton cloth, ...
-dry dusting best? or is there some safe substance to use?
-when putting the books back on the shelf, should we put some type of buffer
between the books (a piece of acid-free tissue or paper) to keep them from
rubbing against each other? These books are only removed during yearly
cleaning.

any and all other tips you might have from this type of experience!

Thanks so much for your help!

Bridgette

Bridgette A. Kelly, Special Collections Manager
Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens
714 N. Portage Path
Akron, OH  44303
ph: 330-315-3232   fax: 330-836-2680