Censored archives. Double dipping fees.

Newsgroups: soc.libraries.talk
            ne.general
            alt.censorship
            http://www.deja.com/usenet

Sent To: godig-l@delphinus.lib.umb.edu
         http://www.blc.org/godig_c.html

         alaoif@ala1.ala.org
         http://lp-web.ala.org:8000/
         The Library Bill of Rights
         http://www.ala.org/alaorg/oif/

Our Regional and Massachusetts Library of Last Recourse
City of Boston Public Library Government Documents
Departments have censored legitimately public archives
of our BPL itself by charging, after federal and state
funding, double dipping fees inappropriately.

The efforts of BPL Operations Director Ruth Kowal and
BPL Government Documents Curator Gail Fithian
http://www.bpl.org/WWW/govdocs/govdocs.html

have been to marginalize requests for legitimately
public information from City of Boston archives of our
public library departments instead of removing barriers
to access.

A. Would any of you folks out there be interested in
   the issue of our cities' public libraries and
   removing barriers to access legitimately public
   archives of those very same public libraries
   administrations?...

BPL has been a model of a bad example when it comes to
removing barriers to access city archives including the
very same city public library department archives of
itself and its own public library administration.

   1. Boston City Hall needs a virtual reading room for
      public documents of our municipal government.

   2. Does Boston City Council need an ordinance
      directing transmittal of city documents to
      our public library department routinely?...

A more open government with better civic participation
need barriers removed to access our municipal public
documents.

All the best wishes for a happy new year!
oo-- dWs

Boston Guide to Problematical Library Use
http://GuideToProblematicalLibraryUse.weblogs.com

http://GuideToProblematicalLibraryUse.weblogs.com/stories

Searching via
http://www.alltheweb.com
Enter
"descriptive terms" AND guidetoproblematicallibraryuse