Re: fundraising for shelving / salvaged shelving

Fellow Listers:

A couple of years back I made numerous treks to the former Southern Pacific
Transportation Co [railroad] headquarters and warehouses in San Francisco to
sequentially retrieve vast quantities of their corporate archives and
business records which might otherwise be trashed.

What SP did trash, through scrappers/steel salvagers, was acres of good
quality steel shelving. Some was tired, but there was more than enough there
for me to request a donation of standing shelf units to the tune of some 300
or more linear feet.

If you happen to know of a railroad headquarters in a major metropolitan
area near you -- in this age of railroad and transportation and major
business consolidations and mergers -- you might simply ask if shelving is
going to be scrapped. It might also be a good idea to ask local industrial
steel salvagers
whether they are willing to go along with a donation of material before they
get to a contract scrapping/salvage operation.
You supply the dismantling work, you get the shelving you need and they get
the tax benefit!

Kevin V. Bunker
Student Assistant
CA State Archives