Re: fundraising for shelving

As you will be needing the shelving a couple years down the road, you are
lucky to have time to get the word out about your wish list. Make it known
to the ARMA group(s) regionally, and don't overlook placing notices (free,
hopefully) in state/regional library newsletters. For example, TN puts out
the TLA (Tennessee Library Association)newsletter, and I think small notices
such as yours can be published there. Also, your state or regional annual
library conferences are a great way to get word out about your needs.
Librarians really network, and we librarians share with archivists the
characteristics of having to really be resourceful about many things. Also,
if you know the Steelcase, or other office furniture supplier(s) in your
area, or Brodart or Highsmith, or any other company that sells library
furniture, pass the word to them that you have this wish list. Those folks
are in the know and bidding on library/archives contracts, that sort of
thing. A friend of mine who was going into business for himself found
beautiful Steelcase stuff, like new, for $75 per unit. What a deal!  Also,
don't overlook hospitals. They often have moveable shelving for records.
They have to upgrade or relocate things on occasion as well. Therefore, keep
in mind the state/regional Medical Library Association people. If you need
to identify librarian types in your area, let me know, and I'll point you in
the right direction. If there is a circuit medical librarian in your area,
they can probably give you the scoop on any such doings regionally. Good
luck.

Sharon Lee Butcher
Reference Librarian
AEDC Technical Library