Re: lantern slide collections

The New York State Archives has almost 25,000 lantern slides, the vast majority of which were created by the State Education Department's Department of Visual Instruction.  The images consist of, among other things, the flora, fauna, physical features, industries, communities, and institutions of New York State and the world.  Most were created between 1911-39, but some are older.

Bonita L. Weddle
Documentary Heritage Services
New York State Archives
9C71 Cultural Education Center
Albany, NY 12230
(518)473-4258
bweddle@mail.nysed.gov
www.archives.nysed.gov

>>> claire.goodwin@SIMMONS.EDU 01/05/01 02:51PM >>>
Simmons College Archives has over 1,000 lantern slides
that were used by the Art and Music Department during
lectures years ago (not really sure of the time period).
Regular slides eventually replaced the lantern slides, so now
we have this wonderful collection, housed in its original oak
case/cabinet, in one of our storage closets........

Catherine Bruck wrote:

> I have one collection of lantern slides, ca 1940s, from a research office.
> There are 74 surviving slides in the collection.  I came across another set
> which I believe were used by a former university president for some kind of
> presentation to the board or at speaking engagements.  Same time period;
> perhaps 40 slides total, most of which were images taken from books, maps
> and other published materials.  I kept only a few which depict graphs of
> institutional activities (e.g., enrollment totals).
>
> Catherine Bruck
> University Archivist
> Illinois Institute of Technology
> Paul V. Galvin Library