Re: After hours researchers

Eric v.d. Luft wrote (in response to Tom Berry)

>> Since this is a one-man show with few on-site researchers, I handle all
>> researchers by appointment only. The logic is that if someone shows up
>> unexpectedly and I'm  not here, he or she doesn't get in. If someone
can't
>> come during normal hours, I'll work with him or her however I can to
>> accomodate the situation.

>That's exactly how I've done it here for the past 13 1/2 years. It works
very well >for small to
>medium-sized collections. Too bad larger collections are forced by
circumstances to >be somewhat less
>flexible with their hours.

that's my policy as well, since I'm a one-woman office - the problem is
getting that message out.  I still get drop-in researchers - I accomodate
them if I can, but I make a point of explaining that generally research is
by appointment only.

Sometimes the folks who've done research at larger archives, with more
staff, get a little miffed.  They want the same kind of access, and they
get a little impatient with my more limited resources (well, I do too, but
that's another post ;)

Lisa

Archives
Diocese of Galveston-Houston