Re: After hours researchers

Lisa May wrote:

> Sometimes the folks who've done research at larger archives, with more
> staff, get a little miffed.  They want the same kind of access, and they
> get a little impatient with my more limited resources (well, I do too, but
> that's another post ;)

That kind of thinking is inevitable. I had the unhappy experience two years
ago of giving a tour of our humble museum to a family that had spent the
previous day at the Air Force museum in Dayton, listening the whole time to
their comments that our unheated steel  building, lack of intrerpretive
displays and the various unrestored machines on the grounds were all terribly
disappointing to them because they expected us to be on a par with what they
had just visited.

On the other hand, one of my researchers, who has extensive experience doing
research in university archives, was just as emphatic in his praise of how
professionally I had handled his needs when he visited last year. He hadn't
expected to encounter registration forms and other procedures that were based
on university practice in our hole-in-the-wall operation.

Best wishes,

Thomas Berry, Archivist
Historical Construction Equipment Association
16623 Liberty Hi Road
Bowling Green, Ohio 43402
Phone 419-352-5616
Fax 419-352-6086