Container storage of archives collections

Dear List,

        We're being required to move over 5,000 lf of archival materials to a new
facility. Unfortunately, there has been a delay in constructing our new
area, but we are being asked to vacate our current site so that
construction can begin there also.

        There is a proposal for short term storage of our materials which would
involve packing them into locked 20 ft. trailer containers and storing them
in a heated (this is questionable) garage attached to the building we will
be occupying. The move would occur, at least in part, in February, and
materials would be unpacked into the new compact storage area in June or
July. The materials consist of bound volumes, many of which are newspapers,
books, papers, and some photographic images. The proposed plan is to pack
the lower level of the containers with the heavier bound volumes, and then
stack archival boxes on top - up to a maximum of 5 levels -given the weight
specs. of the boxes from the archival container companies.

        My staff and I aren't really comfortable with this proposition from a
collections care standpoint. We would appreciate hearing from any of you
who have been in this situation.  We know that access to the materials will
be out of the question and will have to live with that!