Re: Important Message-Upcoming Change in Reply Setting

I, too, would like to know the arguments behind this change.  From most of
the postings both pre-trial and now, I would say that not many are in favor
of it, so why the change?  Has there really been a hue & cry from the
unheard masses, or is there some administrative reason?  Please do
enlighten us.....

I, for one, do not welcome the change.  I can't tell you how many times I
have read queries and answers to issues I had never even considered, then
needed the information within a week or two.  I often save messages
containing hints and tips on conservation, preservation, tools, etc.  I
even know how to re-hydrate & unroll documents now, which someone asked me
about just the other day.  But more importantly, I really like the sense of
community this list gives me, knowing that there are other "Lone Arrangers"
out there, struggling with issues of management, access, and expenditures.
If I have to put up with "out of office", virus alerts, and tirades against
the BPL, so be it!  Please (see, i'm asking nicely) do not put up
unnecessary and unwanted barriers to our communications network.

So, again, please enlighten us.  Maybe we should even have an official poll
and abide by the vote (no Bush-Gore jokes, okay?)  Thank you in advance for
your consideration.  ttfn - Jill in Alaska.

Jill L Schneider
USGS - Alaska Technical Data Unit
907-786-7457
jschnidr@usgs.gov
http://tundra.wr.usgs.gov/wrmrsAK/

                    Joanne Seitter
                    <joanne.seitter@CURT        To:     ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
                    IS.EDU>                     cc:
                    Sent by: Archives &         Subject:     Re: Important Message-Upcoming Change
                    Archivists                  in Reply Setting
                    <ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.M
                    UOHIO.EDU>

                    01/19/2001 09:39 AM
                    Please respond to
                    Archives &
                    Archivists

I just took a look at the Archives Archives (hey it's my lunch hour :) and
from what I can gather from posts during the trial last November, most
people did not like the change. This is echoed by the posts today.  Was
there any survey done of how the change affected postings?  Any breakdown
on
for and against?  Do we have any numbers on this? My father would say this
is the ledger person in me talking. I would say we should vote on it, but
as
recently evidenced, voting proves nothing.

I would like to add my name to those who didn't like the change the first
time.  The number of answers did seem to drop off. Many of the posted
questions elicited replies that asked for information to go to the list.  I
know I asked on at least one occassion that answers go to the whole list
and
would have asked on many more, but was beat to the punch by others.

Mail that goes between two people is called private e-mail.  It has its
place, but it goes contrary to the purpose of the listserv.  So what if
there are inadvertent posts?  Some of them are kind of fun!  Anyway, the
good has always outweighed by far any bad.

Joanne M. Seitter
Archivist
Curtis Institute of Music
Philadelphia, PA