Help requested concerning star drills

Good morning!

I'm forwarding this request to the List because I have no information for
this gentleman. Please reply directly to him.

Many thanks for all assistance given.

Best wishes,

Thomas Berry, Archivist
Historical Construction Equipment Association
16623 Liberty Hi Road
Bowling Green, Ohio 43402
Phone 419-352-5616
Fax 419-352-6086
tberry@wcnet.org
http://www.hcea.net

Jan. 21, 01

  Dear Sirs,

  I have surveyed a destroyed site from WWII; a building with a steel-
reinforced concrete roof.  In the largely intact roof are found several
holes.  We have located statements by some contemporary workers who said
that the holes were installed during the war, but one of our colleagues is
insistent that no tools for cutting holes in concrete were in existence
during WWII.  I have found catalogs from the 1920's which feature hand held
star drills, but they have no descriptions on what use they had.

  Would you have any information as to whether star drills were used to cut
concrete before or during the war, or any suggestions as to who might know?
I will be sure to credit your help when my paper is published.

  Sincerely,

  Charles D. Provan
  410 West Main St.
  Monongahela, PA 15063