info on college archives and records management

Hi everybody,

In light of the recent discussion on policy changes for the listserve
*and* because I've has so many requests for this, here is a summary of
the information I received on writing a policy for university/college
archives and on starting a records management program.

recommended books:

1. Maher, Bill -  The Management of College and University Archives
(supposed to be excellent, but I think is out of print right now, at
least not available from the SAA)
2. Skupsky, Donald - Recordkeeping Requirements
3. The Management of Local government Records: A Guide for Local
Officials
(AASLH publication, unfortunately also out of print)
4. Samuels, Helen - Varsity Letters: Documenting Modern Colleges and
Universities
5. Ellis, Judith - Keeping Archives

 recommended websites:

Alan Zaben's site: links to 3,000+ websites
http://www.infomgmt.homestead.com/

 check out the websites for libraries and/or archives/special
collections at University of North Carolina
at Chapel Hill, Davidson College (NC), Oregon State, Mt. Holyoke,
Dartmouth College, Berea College(KY), and
Harvard (all excellent, and lots of good stuff to print out).

the site for Harvard's Countway Library of Medicine, Dept. or Rare Books
and Special Collections is particularly informative:
http://www.countway.med.harvard.edu/rarebooks/

ARMA's website:
http://www.arma.org

Retention of records guide, can be ordered from  from American
Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers - site:
http://www.aacrao.org/pubs/pub&reprnt.htm

site for NY state archives:
http://www.archives.nysed.gov/services/recmgmt.htm

also do a google search "college archives policies"

I also learned that for records management,  it's not that easy to get
started (and get
cooperation from your institution) especially if you're not a public
institution and therefore not required by law to keep records - but that
with
perseverance  it can be done - or at least started.

Thanks again to all those who sent me this information!

Linda Coppens

--
Linda Miles Coppens
College Archivist