Re: info on college archives and records management

Linda wrote:
"I also learned that for records management,  it's not that easy to get
started (and get cooperation from your institution) especially if you're not
a public
institution and therefore not required by law to keep records - but that
with
perseverance  it can be done - or at least started."

Although your institution may not be a publicly funded one, there are
probably (shoot I know they exist just can't lay my hands on them) many
state and federal recordkeeping requirements that would apply to it. Also
educational institutions have many rules concerning the confidentiality and
privacy of student records.

If you want to wake up your higher-ups show them the story about Clark
County NV, the EPA and fines of upwards of $25K per day. Note that the EPA
wanted invoices, purchase orders and any other records associated with the
purchase and use of FREON.

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Manager, Records Management Group
Woodside Summit Group Inc