My last word on the subject

I find it extremely ironic that a measure designed to cut down on the
off-topic postings has created such an enormous level of non-archives mail
(mine included, I suppose).  I'm beginning to agree with the poster who said
she was considering unsubscribing from the list because of the level and
length of the debate.

I'm most disheartened by the tenor of some of the postings I've seen.  Some
have been testy, while others have been downright  rude.  I would like to
hope that the cameraderie and friendly nature of the list (that so many have
been writing about in connection to this thread) would demonstrate itself
even in the middle of our decidedly low-impact crisis (measure it, for
example, against recent earthquake in El Salvador and power troubles in
California for perspective).

I'd like to express my appreciation to the committee for sending what I
thought was a measured and polite explanation for the change, with the VERY
OBVIOUS point that they would reconsider their decision if there was a
noticable shift in the nature of the list.  And I should say it's very
unfair to ask Bob Schmidt to "run the list as he wants without SAA
interference" (I'm paraphrasing) when, quite frankly, he's volunteered his
time and energy for this very difficult task and I presume he has an actual
job he'd like to pay attention to as well.

I'd like to ask us all to quietly drop this thread and pick it up again
later if the tumbleweeds start blowing through and the list starts to look
like a played-out silver mining town.  It'll be our own fault anyway if we
don't play a role in keeping the conversation alive.

As I said in my subject line, that's all I have to say on it.

DS

Daniel Sokolow, Archives Coordinator
David Taylor Archives
North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System
155 Community Drive
Great Neck, NY 11021
mailto:dsokolow@nshs.edu