Re: Epson Stylus Photo 2000P--Archival Quality??

Jan, you may wish to visit Epson's web site and Henry Wilhelm's web
site.  Wilhelm and Associates have done testing on many ink jet
printers.  The testing for the inks and certain papers have been going
through some re-evaluations.  But from the professional photographer's
viewpoint, Epson is ahead of any other mfg of inkjet printers.  In my
lab I have Epson's 1270 which uses dyes vs. the pigments used by the
Epson 2000P.
        Here is a quote from "The Top Ten Photo Printers" By David MacNeill,
Shawn Barnett, and Kathleen Cochran.  (That web site follows the quote.)
        "The 2000P stands alone among the inkjets in this round-up in that it
deposits pigment rather than dye onto paper. And no ordinary paper; this
is true archival stock which can theoretically last up to 200 years
without fading, according to Epson. Print quality is slightly lower than
the very similar Epson 1270 due to the narrower gamut, or color range,
inherent in pigments compared to dye. Our blind comparative testing
bears this out, with the 2000P ranking fifth overall."
 http://www.photopoint.com/dcm/buyers2001/features/printers.html

Epson's web site:       http://www.epson.com
Wilhelm's web site:     http://www.wilhelm-research.com/
        (tho the site is down for construction when I checked it)

Hope this helps.

--
Richard Veazey                      Phone: 907-474-6344
Photography Manager                 Fax  : 907-474-6365