Re: "Underpaid...and not Well Understood"

Because most people don't know what an Archivist is or does, I use humor
during talks to civic groups.  "Many people are afraid when I say I'm an
Archivist because they think I bomb buildings for a living.  But I am not an
Anarchist.  I'm an A R C H I V I S T .
In fact, I have helped restore buildings rather than tear them down.
Professional architects used the California State Capitol building drawings,
1861-1906, preserved in the State Archives to restore the Capitol".

Another way I try to endear myself to audiences is to say that "some of my
best friends are ________" e.g. genealogists.  I am sincere because they
are.  We know each other on a first name basis and have mutual respect.