Re: ARCHIVES Digest - 24 Jan 2001 (#2001-26)

A word about exhibit cases:

I've used a wonderful cabinet maker in Chestertown, Maryland, for exhibit
cases here at Peabody.  His designs are wonderful and my last request, for a
case that would match 3 19th century cases already in use, but would satisfy
21st century environmental concerns, exceeded my wildest hopes.  He fabricated
a beautiful case using water-based finishes, uv-filtering glass, providing
micro-climate, maximum security etc. etc.  The interior of the case slides out
for ease of installation, the doors can be lifted totally off their hinges,
and the case can be lifted off its base for transport (the crown is also
removable).

The case it was designed to match was fabricated c. 1850 in Britain (there are
similar cases in the V&A Museum in London).  The cabinet maker's name is
Robert Ortiz.  He is terrific to work with and was very good about meeting the
demands set by our conservator.