IMPORTANT: Help New York historical programs

Greetings all,

In my other life I serve as webmaster for the Archivists Round Table of
Metropolitan New York, more commonly known as NYART.  The Board has asked me
to let the list know that we are asking NYART members and other historically
minded New Yorkers to contact legislators and others in power in New York
State government regarding their plans to fund several history-related
projects. (Non-New Yorkers are welcome to comment as well, I imagine).

Governor George Pataki is in the process of finalizing his budget for
2001-2002, and while he has been kind enough to fund the Documentary
Heritage Program, he has taken the funds out of the budget line intended for
the Local Government Records Management Fund rather than from a general
fund.  Moreover, the Governor's budget does not include any funding for the
Rediscovering New York History and Culture initiative, which is intended to
preserve New York history for everyone.
NYART feels that these important programs should not come at the expense of
one another, and we are urging members and others to contact these officials
to let them know how important _all_ of these programs are.
Please note that all letters/emails should be sent in by February 15, 2001.
Please visit NYART's website for more information, including a sample letter
and a list of key contacts to approach about this problem.
http://www.nycarchivists.org/special4.html
For more on the Rediscovering New York project, please visit the Museum
Association of New York's website at
http://www.manyonline.org/RediscoverNY1.htm
Thanks,

Daniel
Daniel Sokolow, Archives Coordinator
David Taylor Archives
North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System
155 Community Drive
Great Neck, NY 11021
mailto:dsokolow@nshs.edu