Survey results - perception

I found the results for  following questions to be very interesting.

> 9. I believe that the various professional archives associations...promote
> awareness of the profession
>         Strongly agree                  2       1%
>         Agree                           46      21%
>         Neither Agree/Disagree          65      29%
>         Disagree                        101     45%
>         Strongly Disagree               9       4%
>         Total                           223

29% neither agreed or disagreed with the above statement while a very large
number disagreed or strongly disagreed with it. This tells me that at least
among the respondents they would like to see the professional organizations
do more promotion of the profession and the field.

> 12. The general public believes that archives are cold, musty, dusty
places
> that hold old records.
>         Strongly agree          28      13%
>         Agree                   137     62%
>         Neither Agree/Disagree  41      18%
>         Disagree                16      7%
>         Strongly disagree       0
>         total                   222

Examined in light of No. 9. the professional associations have a hard row to
hoe. especially in changing peoples' perceptions of our workplace

> 14. Newspaper stories accurately portray what an archives is
>         Strongly disagree       15      7%
>         Disagree                98      44%
>         Neither Agree/Disagree  77      35%
>         Agree                   33      15%
>         Strongly Agree          0
>         Total                   223

finally this goes back to what I've said before, archivists need to
cultivate a relationship with the press. Did anyone send a comment to the
Journal-Sentinel about their article I posted last week. Beth? I do know
that several people did comment to the Omaha paper several weeks ago about
the senatorial papers donation.

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Manager, Records Management Group
Woodside Summit Group Inc