Re: Ethics of Copies

>...he doesn't want to run the risk that the new
>museum's archives will retain the copies and provide reference access as
>part of their "public" collections.  My colleague is within an hour's drive
>of the site.

>How does he assist them in their work without undermining the uniqueness of
>his collections?   We keep the stuff so it can be used, right?

Due to the uniqueness of your friend's material he might want to work with
the museum such that they provide the monies for microfilm/scannig/imaging
the material for their use. Each imaged would be "watermarked" such that if
printed out it clearly states that it came from your friend's organization.
Also if placed on CD when the CD is loaded it could open to a page that
states that the original materials are located at such and such facility
yada, yada, yada

I would make full size duplicates but state that once
reconstruction/renovation is complete that they be returned to your friend.
Hold firm too. If they squawk remind them that your friend's organization
did save the material, expend monies to preserve and conserve etc.

Hope this helps (some)

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Manager, Records Management Group
Woodside Summit Group Inc