Re: Institutional criteria for the appraisal of electronic record s

Jim

The National Archives of Australia treats the appraisal of electronic
records in exactly the same way as any other record - a record is a record
is a record.

The Administrative Functions Disposal Authority
(http://www.naa.gov.au/recordkeeping/disposal/authorities/GDA/AFDA/summary.h
tml) has a section on 'Technology and Telecommunications' which might give
you an idea on how we deal with systems and other supporting documentation.
Basically, the design documentation is kept for 5 years after any relevant
data is either migrated to another system, or destroyed.

Also available on our website at
http://www.naa.gov.au/recordkeeping/rkpubs/summary.html are 'Why record are
kept: Directions in appraisal' and ' Archiving Websites: A Policy for
Keeping Web-based Records in the Commonwealth Government' which might be of
interest.  A companion guide to keeping web based records, with some
practical ideas, should be released in the very near future.

John Lovejoy
johnl@naa.gov.au
Recordkeeping Standards and Policy
National Archives of Australia