Filemaker and Access

I'm trying to decide whether to upgrade to Filemaker Pro or Access for my
many databases and would appreciate hearing from archivists who have used
>both< and have words of wisdom about relative capabilities or lacks.
They're all in an old DOS system (RBase) that can do absolutely anything for
me, but it isn't beautiful and you can't point & click (my newer interns are
horrified).

I've looked at the listserv archives and found many people who love
Filemaker and many people who can do complicated things on Access (but don't
seem to love it). I'm not that concerned with easy first steps (they're all
easy, at first), but with how much a power user can do, once you learn the
system, and how you felt about the learning curve to get there.

As always,
Thanks!

Deborah Wythe
Brooklyn Museum of Art Archives