From: Betsy Lowenstein <betsy@NHA.ORG>
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Photograph archivist vs. photograph curator
Date: Wed, Feb 21, 2001, 11:52 AM

What is the difference, if any, between a photograph curator and a photograph archivist? Our photograph archivist has just left and the administration is looking to hire a photograph curator to replace him. My sense of the difference between the two is that a photograph archivist is someone who is particularly skilled in describing, organizing, and cataloging photographic items, while a photograph curator is more focused on interpretation, research, and exhibition (I realize that a photograph archivist will contribute to exhibitions, while a photograph curator would be familiar with cataloging principles). Is this an accurate distinction?

The library contains 50,000 photographic images. The bulk of these images are uncataloged and inaccessible. My priority is to have someone adequately exert control over the collection (which, in my opinion, needs to be achieved prior to the planning of exhibitions and publications). Is a photograph archivist or a photograph curator the best person for the job?
For those who are photograph archivists and photograph curators, Id appreciate your opinions. Position descriptions would be helpful as well.

Thank you.

(Please excuse cross-postings.)
Betsy Lowenstein
Library Director