Re: Photograph archivist vs. photograph curator

Well let's see what the definition of a curator is

from this website (http://www.yourdictionary.com/cgi-bin/mw.cgi) we get

"one that has the care and superintendence of something; especially : one in charge of a museum, zoo, or other place of exhibit"
And from this site (http://www.onelook.com/) we get

"a person in charge of a museum, library etc."
"the custodian of a collection (as a museum or library"

"a person in charge of a department of a museum or other place where objects of art, science, or historical interest are collected, or a person who organizes and arranges a showing of art or other objects of interest "
As someone who once was in charge of several photo archives/collections I prefer the term Photographic Archivist rather than curator. The term "curator" conjures up someone whose principal function is to design, develop and manage exhibits. The archivist however does describe, organize and catalog, but also they conduct research (who took the photo if unknown, where and when was it taken, why was it taken, who are the people/buildings, etc. what type of photograph is it) as well as design develop and curate exhibits. In a former position I did all of that.

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Manager, Records Management Group
Woodside Summit Group Inc
Midlothian, Virginia