Architectural drawings

This is a question for anyone who manages architectural drawings. We have a large collection of drawings which include public buildings and private residences. As a basic security caution, if someone wants to have a copy made of one of these drawings we require proof of ownership, or permission from the owner before we send it to our photo lab. However, if someone really wants to gain information about a particular design or floor plan of any structure he or she can do so without having a copy made. So our policy doesn't seem to have much backbone. My quesion is, has anyone implemented similar precautions in your insitutions? Is this even an issue? You can respond off the list if you like. Thanks in advance.

Paul Crater
Archivist
Visual Culture Collection
Atlanta History Center