Re: Filemaker vs Access

A quick comment on this thread. I think that the tool you chose really
depends a great deal on the application. We made a big mistake trying to do
a very complex multi-user database app. on Filemaker. The mistake was not so
much whether it was conceivable for it to work (as in ever no matter how
much time and money we threw at it)- the mistake was in trying to go all the
way out on the complexity and multi-user scale for a product that is really
designed for "lighter weight" purposes. The same applies to Access to a
certain extent - these are products that are designed with certain
capabilities in mind, and when you try to reach beyond their intended market
performance you start to get into trouble. CAN you make the products do the
things you want - well theoretically yes - but it will never really be
"right" and it may take a huge amount of resources and script writing to get
you there. If you have a very straight forward very DEFINED project then
either of these products will probably work fine - but when you get into
large, multi-user, complex DB applications - you may want to look elsewhere.

Jim Lindner

General Manager VidiPax Division
VidiPax - The Magnetic Media Restoration Company

Executive Vice-President
Loudeye Technologies
NASDAQ Symbol:LOUD

VidiPax
450 West 31 Street
New York, N.Y.  10001
212-563-1999 ext. 102
www.vidipax.com

Moderator: AV Media Matters Listserve
To subscribe to AV Media Matters Listserve send an email to:
AV-Media-Matters-subscribe@topica.com