The Rattle in Seattle

Title: The Rattle in Seattle

I just thought I would chime in on the reactions to yesterday's quake. The King County Archives is just east of downtown Seattle. We had four drawers come out of one of our map cabinets and the records center had two or three boxes fall off the shelves but we sustained no major damage.

Overall, the damage in Seattle is minor. The Pioneer Square SODO (South of the Dome) districts were hit the hardest. Both those areas were built on landfill. They have only red tagged 8 buildings in Seattle. There are some road closures that are complicating the traffic situation. It took me three hours to get to work this morning. I live 9 miles from the office but have to cross water to get here.

Deborah Kennedy
King County Archivist
King County Archives and Records Management
1215 E Fir Street,   Seattle, WA 98122
phone: 206/205-1396, fax: 206/205-1399