Fwd: Re: MAVIS

Oops, I forgot the changed reply function and sent this to the
'asker'. I'm resending it just in case others are interested.

Sue

We are in the process of applying for funds to update our obsolete
dBase in-house collections information system, and have been
advised that MAVIS, or Merged Audio Visual Information System,
would do what we need a new system to do.  I only found one posting
about MAVIS (an Australian product) in the Archives of this list.
Is anyone out there using it?  If so, would you be willing to share
your story of implementing it with me?

Thanks in advance.

Stephanie

I work at the institution which developed MAVIS - ScreenSound
Australia (or the National Screen and Sound Archive) - and have been
pretty heavily involved in much of its development (as a user not a
programmer I hasten to add) from the early 1980s.  It is now being
used by the Motion Picture and Recorded Sound sections at Library of
Congress (I'm not sure of their proper title), the National Library
of Norway, the Norwegian Film Institute and, most recently, the
Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (in LA). We expect
another European site to come on board soon.

It is strong in its management of media items, and also works very
well for photgraphs and for materials which are maintained in
different formats (eg an art work and a transparency of same).
Modules for managing digital content are being developed and tested
now.

However, it is a fairly comprehensive system which is hard to
describe in a few sentences but I would be happy to answer more
questions - email me privately if you like with specific questions.
Otherwise you could ask your LC colleagues since they have
implemented it in just the last few years.

Cheers, Sue

  Sue Terry                      __  /\
                                /  \/  \     Manager, Documentation Development
   +61  2 6248 2180 (w)        /        \    Collections Branch
                             /         /    ScreenSound Australia
   +61  2 6248 2165 (fax)     \   __  */     Canberra ACT 2600
                               `-'  \_/
  sue_terry@screensound.gov.au

'The secret of survival is to embrace change, and to adapt' (Rohinton Mistry)