Dissertations

 I would like to hear from academic archivists as to their policies on
keeping bound dissertations. Traditionally at my institution
bound copies are the responsibility of archives and stored off site in a
nearby building. A microfilm copy is available in the Microforms
department. Users are encouraged to use the microfilm copy unless they
have vision problems, etc., and if so we can fetch the hard copy on
twenty-four hours notice, in house use only. In other words we have
traditionally looked upon the hard copy as the archival copy and the
microfilm as the use copy. We receive only one hard copy of each
dissertation.

 Our Reference librarians are now lobbying for making the last twenty
years of hard copies available on site, and possibly even allowing
circulation of hard copy. They would like to see the hard copy be the use
copy and the microfilm be the archival copy. They claim they are being
deluged with requests for these, that users hate microfilm, etc.

 I am trying to make the case that replacement of a hard copy dissertation
can only come from UMI in those little cheap blue copies, and that these
are not very well made for preservation purposes. I would like to hear
from other C & U archivists on what their policy is in this area.

 Steve Fisher
 University of Denver