Common portal for Archives information

I see messages on this list requesting where a particular collection
is located.  That got me thinking that we could set up a web-accessible
database of ALL collections that is searchable by name, subject, etc.
The hitlist generated could link to the finding guide (if available),
but also (at least) give the institution that holds the collection.

Would this type of project be of interest to anyone or does it already
exist somewhere that I do not know about?  I think we could do this
for between $200-$300 per year (if someone doesn't volunteer space
on their server).  If we had 20-30 institutions participating, the
cost would be about $10 per year for each.  I would be willing to
write the interface and help maintain the site.  If you would be
interested in participating or if you have more questions, you
may respond to me at mpullin@lib.swbts.edu.

Michael Pullin                                    E-mail: mpullin@lib.swbts.edu
Archivist and Special Collections Librarian         Tel (817) 923-1921 Ext 3338
Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary                    Fax (817) 921-8765
PO Box 22000
Fort Worth, TX  76122-0490